.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>
Journals by Interns at Vancouver English Centre, in Vancouver, Canada. The Intern's Journal

Journals by Interns at Vancouver English Centre, in Vancouver, Canada.


Wednesday, July 07, 2004
 
It's my second week on the job!
See:

I really don't know how I should be opening my first blog entry. I may as well just introduce myself. My name's Brennan Hodge, I am a highschool student in Langley (about 40 minutes from VEC) and I am working here full time over the Summer with two other students, Tam, and Akshay. Since my mom, Kim Hodge, is a Director of Studies, I have come in to VEC on many different occasions to help out, so I already felt comfortable in being there on my first day. Although, there's no reason why even a stranger could feel uncomfortable. The staff and the student's are great!

As I have only recently turned seventeen, I will be beginning Grade 12 this September; therefore, I will only be able to work at VEC for the Summer. I intend on working as much as I can, from Monday to Friday, 8:30AM-4:30PM. My mom suggested I keep the job and work on weekends and maybe some days after school. Now, I'm really interested in doing so and I'm sure you will understand why once you are through with reading this entry.

I've been here for just over a week and the novelty is yet to wear off. I'm not convinced it ever will. I really enjoy coming to work every morning. VEC is a fun, diverse atmosphere. The staff is really generous and a lot of fun. I've found that they all have a great sense of humor, especially the president's assistant, Melanie, who Tam, a girl also working here for the Summer, and I, share an office with. Also, it's really nice to have the chance to be around the students, as I don't know of many places where you can go and find all these people from so many different cultures and backgrounds all under one roof and getting along so well.

As sad as it may seem, every night at around 7PM, I look forward to later going to sleep as that means I will be at work soon. I even feel a bit guilty enjoying myself on the weekend. It feels as thought I am wasting time, like I should be doing something productive, and honestly, I look forward to the end of the weekend so I may begin another week at work.

So far my priority has been entering data as part of the web directory project. It's so easy that anybody could do it. The only problem is that everything is the same, so it is very repetitive and often tedious. The first day at work was the worst! I suppose because I wasn't used to being such a robot; however, now I'm practically mechanical. No complaints though, those that are above me (which is everybody) manage to keep me occupied with various tasks to keep me from getting bored.

Other than data entry, my less important jobs have included updating computers, contacting potential buyers of advertising, cleaning, preparing packages for new students, or simply delivering a letter to the local barrister's office. I'm at the bottom of the food chain, so to speak, and basically, everybody is entitled to telling me what to do.

Anyways, this entry is more than long enough, so I better get to work!

    |
Comments: Post a Comment



Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com