.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>
Journals by Interns at Vancouver English Centre, in Vancouver, Canada. The Intern's Journal

Journals by Interns at Vancouver English Centre, in Vancouver, Canada.


Friday, July 09, 2004
 
I Get Around
See:

Today was really hectic - everybody wanted a piece of me and I think I did a good job getting around.

On our first day, Mr Gardner suggested that Tam and I complete 70-90 e-mails full of listings a day. I got about 50 done by 9 30 when Jean, the homestay coordinator, showed up in my office with 50 pencils I needed to sharpen by hand and after that, she had me working with her in homestay as we needed to find places for 50 students BY MONDAY!! I went through so many files and called so many people, but even if they did pick up, I got the same answer. They already have students or are expecting students during that time. It was really frustrating, but at the end of the day, I think Jean managed to find enough room, which is great!

Then at about 3 today, I went back to my data entry and completed another 20 or 30 e-mails with listings. As I did the listings between 3-4PM, I helped out a few students which is always fun.

Normally I leave work at 4 30, but since it is intake next Monday, my mom, Kim, the director of studies, had to work late to arrange the classes for the coming session, and I thought I would go shopping and then later come back to work and go home with my mom. I realised all my shirts have stripes or plaid on them which isn't a good thing... But at about 4, Kathy, an activities coordinator told me that we need to prepare bags with information for 150 new students that will be coming on Monday. She seemed desperate, so I was happy to work late to get them all done for her.

Why put off until tomorrow what can be put off even longer? Words I once lived by mean nothing. If I learned anything today, it's not to procrastinate. It seems like all the little things that don't seem like such a big deal at the time get put off until last minute and cause the greatest amount of stress.

Since Monday will be really hectic with all the new students coming in, Melanie has asked Tam and I to help them out by showing them where their classes are, telling them how to check in, and just talk to them to ease their nerves. I'm looking forward to that - dealing with the students is a lot of fun. But I guess so is watching paint dry once you've done so much data entry. Haha - kidding John...sometimes I miss data entry when I'm doing other things.

    |
Comments: Post a Comment



Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com